Thursday, January 14, 2010

Coming Out

All my life I have been a bit suspicious of religious teachers. However Prasad ( photo below) introduced me to Rajnish and of all the various thinkers, Rajnish made the most impact on me.


From Prasad's Farm

Rajnish impressed me , because he asks us to question very deeply our motives for action and not take anything for granted. He also speaks in a very conversational style, introduces many jokes in his discourse .

Since I will be quoting some of his sayings , I should first start with what he he says about the power of context and he illustrates it in a wonderful way in his talk.

" A young man was drowning, he starts crying for help and shouts - Help, help, I can't swim. An old man is sitting on the bank of the river and says, - Neither can I , but I am not making a fuss about it.

Another interesting thing he says is about giving up bad habits and specifically mentions smoking . He says don't be unnecessarily proud about giving up smoking or any other bad habit , yes you will live for a few more years but you will do the same nonsense things for the extra 3-4 years extra that you will live.

( Update of 28/2/2012 - Since my father died of Lung Cancer, I have strong views on Smoking, Smoking kills you but screws your loved ones. They will suffer more than you by taking you for chemo and all that)

In another talk , some one asks him "Osho what is my purpose in life" He says " No purpose, you are not an object, a chair has a purpose, a human being has no purpose". The talk is quite long and he explains this point very well. 

Osho or Rajnish has been very prolific and many of his talks are available as CD's , DVD's , MP3's . Also many of his talks have been transcribed into books. Both these CD's, books are available in most book stores and the uninitiated can read / hear a few to decide for themselves.  The Itunes store has a osho talk in their podcast library and www.osho.com has a few sample talks which can be downloaded for free.

No comments:

Post a Comment